Getting the right tools
To make graphics, you need some programs. There are many great share- and freeware program available on the Internet.
We currently use and recommend the following.
- Jasc Paint Shop Pro 4.14 - editing, converting, filters
- ACD See 32 from ACD Systems - viewing
- Microsoft Image Composer - text manipulating
- Ulead GIF Animator 2.0 - animated gifs
- Microsoft GIF Animator - animated gifs, freeware but rather limited
- PolyView from PolyBytes - animated gifs, batch converting
- Ulead GIF/JPEG SmartSaver 3.0 - compressing pictures
You can find the newest versions of the programs above (and many more) in Stroud's CWSApps or TUCOWS.
Look in the categories Graphics Viewers and Web Graphics Tools.
There are also some great commercial graphics programs. But they are expensive, big and can be difficult to use:
- Adobe PhotoShop - editing, filters, converting
- Micrografx Picture Publisher - editing, filters, converting
- 3D Studio Max from Kinetix - animations
- Lightwave - animations